Celebrating the Chinese New Year in Sydney
Today marks the end of an amazing celebration for Chinese New Year in Sydney. For the year of the Fire Monkey, Sydney lighted up the whole city at night with the 12 lunar signs and some red everywhere. Discover a bit more about the new year as well as my photographs.
For the 20th anniversary, the city of Sydney organised more than 80 events which place the Chinese New Year as one of the biggest outside from China!
In Australia, this is the time for most of the Asian communities to celebrate the new year with family, important customs and rituals as well as delicious food.
What’s happening for the year of the fire Monkey?
If you were born in 1944, 1956, 1968, 1980, 1992, 2004 or 2016, you are a lucky monkey! This is also my lunar sign and I am very proud to be a Water Monkey said to be “smart, quick-witted, fond of being in the limelight, but haughty”.
Few tips for the Monkeys who want to travel this year! (Tips to take lightly of course!)
- Go on an adventure with the right amount of people! Lucky numbers for Monkeys will be 4 and 9. Enough to fill in your car or two!
- Fly away on a lucky day, either the 14th or the 28th of any Chinese lunar calendar month.
- Pack up your favourite clothes but with only those colours: white, blue and gold. Pink and red should be avoided!
- Point towards your lucky direction - North, Northwest or West. Don’t even try to go South or Southeast for bad luck.
- Finally, if you want to go on a long trip, choose your lucky month - either the 8th or 12th month of the Chinese lunar months.
Finally, the personality of the monkey is - in my opinion - almost perfect for travelling with!
People born in the year of the Monkey as said witty, intelligent, and have a magnetic personality which is essential when discovering new places and new people. Although, personality traits, like mischievousness, curiosity, and cleverness can also make Monkeys very naughty.
You’ll also never get bored wit a monkey person as they are masters of practical jokes because they like playing most of the time. They are also fast learners and crafty opportunists.
A good adventure is always a good idea, especially in big cities as Monkeys like to take challenges and they prefer urban life to rural.
So what’s your lunar sign? Did you ever experience the Chinese New Year in Asia? Tell me everything :)